The Council of the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), hereby announces that the post of Rector of the Institute will become vacant from September 1, 2021. A successor is, therefore, being sought to take over from the incumbent Rector in accordance with statute 12 of the GIMPA Statutes (2020). The Rector shall hold office for an initial term of four (4) academic years and may be eligible for a second term of up to four (4) academic years only, subject to satisfactory performance and good conduct.
The vision of the Institute is to be a global Institute of excellence in knowledge development and application.
Founded in 1961 as a training centre for public servants and established as a public university as per Act 676 (2004), GIMPA is a self-financing public tertiary institution which has a mission to build quality human capital through education, training and services in the fields of leadership, management and public administration for the public sector and non-governmental organisations.
GIMPA has a student population of about 10,000 and employees numbering approximately 650, made up of academics, senior administrative and professional staff as well as middle and junior level support staff.
· The Rector is the Principal Academic, Chief Administrative Officer and the Chief Executive of the Institute, responsible for the promotion of higher education and research and the provision of academic and administrative leadership and the prudent management of the finances of the Institute; He/She should be capable of meeting challenges posed by inadequate infrastructure and a phenomenal growth in student population;
· The Rector is the driver of the strategic direction of the Institute and the growth and development of the Institute;
· The Rector is the Principal Spending Officer of the Institute and is liable for any breach arising from the exercise of his executive and spending functions and powers;
· The Rector is the Chief Disciplinary Officer of the Institute under the direction and general control of Council;
· The Rector is responsible for setting and implementing the agenda as embodied in the Institute’s broad strategic plans by initiating new directions in the academic development of the Institute, and protecting the integrity of the Institute’s processes;
· The Rector shall advise the Council on matters affecting policy, finance, governance and administration of the Institute;
· The Rector is the public face of the Institute representing the Institute to the outside world, and speaks for GIMPA within and outside Ghana.
The successful candidate should, among others, have the following qualifications, traits, and competencies:
· Must be of the status of a Professor with reputable and distinguished extensive, both local and international, research leadership;
· Must have considerable senior level managerial and administrative experience of not less than 8 years in higher education and/or industry;
· Must have good financial and fund raising capabilities and the ability to mobilise other resources for the development of the Institute;
· Must be able to serve an initial full term before the attainment of the statutory retirement age of 60 years, as per the Constitution of Ghana, and for employees of the Public Service of Ghana;
· Must be a person of unblemished character with a high degree of personal integrity;
· Must be a distinguished scholar of international repute, who can inspire, direct and motivate employees in the drive to become a world class research intensive Institute dedicated to the training of competent leaders, managers and administrators;
· Must display creativity in vision;
· Must have mature and sober judgement;
· Must possess excellent inter-personal and communication skills, and must be a team player;
· Must have good entrepreneurial drive and the ability to manage the Institute’s resources to effectively achieve set goals;
· Must have proven fund raising capabilities and track record and should have the ability to mobilize other resources for the development of the Institute;
· Must be an individual who, judging from his/her track records, is likely to command respect of members of staff and the GIMPA community;
· Must be committed to the integration of ICT into the Institute’s programmes and services;
· Must be devoted and able to commit full-time attention to the business of the Institute.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
· Conditions of Service of the Rector to be determined by Council consistent with the Institute’s Act and Statutes;
· Salary and fringe benefits attached to the post are attractive.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Candidates are to submit an application letter to which should be attached the following:
i. Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities required of the candidates, one of whom must be from the last or current place of employment.
ii. A short vision statement of not more than four (4) pages outlining how the applicant would respond to GIMPA’s Mission, Vision Statements, identified challenges and opportunities, during his/her tenure as Rector in writing, to the following specifications:
i) New Times Roman,
ii) Font 12,
iii) Double spaced,
iv) Normal Margins, and
v) On A4 Size Sheet of Paper
Information on the Institute may be accessed on GIMPA’s Website and/or obtained from the Office of the Secretary of the Institute on request.
All referees should be asked to send their independent reports to the Chairman of the Search Committee with full details of the applicant not later than Monday, March 1, 2021.
Interested candidates are required to submit one (1) hardcopy of their application letter, vision statement, curriculum vitae and copies of other relevant supporting documents under registered cover marked ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ to reach the following address not later than Monday, March 1, 2021.
Search Committee for Rector
C/o Office of the Secretary of the Institute
Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration
P. O. Box AH 50
Achimota, Accra, Ghana, West Africa
Personally deliver to the Office of the Secretary of the Institute.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application reaches the addresses provided by the due date.
Additionally, an electronic version should be forwarded to