The Ghana Tertiary Education Commission was established by the Government of Ghana in 1993 with the enactment of PNDCL 317, 1993. The legislation has since been replaced by the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission Act, 2007, Act 744. The Board is mandated to:
- Accredit both public and private (tertiary) institutions with regard to the contents and standards of their programmes.
- Determine, in consultation with the appropriate institution or body, the programme and requirements for the proper operation of that institution and the maintenance of acceptable levels of academic or professional standards
- Determine the equivalences of diplomas, certificates and other qualifications awarded by institutions in Ghana or elsewhere.
- Publish as it considers appropriate the list of accredited public and private institutions at the beginning of the calendar year.
- Advise the President on the grant of a Charter to a private tertiary institution. Perform any other functions determined by the Minister.