The National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE) and the National Accreditation Board (NAB) have been merged under the new Education Regulatory Bodies Act, 2020 (Act 1023) to form the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission.
The Act was given Presidential Assent on August 21, 2020, paving way for the Governing Board to be appointed and inaugurated on November 25, 2020.Establishment of the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission
By this Act, a corporate body known as the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission.
For the performance of the functions of the Commission, the Commission may acquire and hold property, dispose of property and enter into a contract or any other related transaction. Where there is hindrance to the acquisition of land, the land may be acquired for the Commission under the State Lands Act, 1962 (Act 125) and the cost shall be borne by the Commission.Objects of the Commission
The objects of the Commission are to regulate tertiary education in all its forms with a view to promote
- efficient and effective administration and accreditation of tertiary education institutions;
- principles of the provision of consistent quality of service by tertiary education institutions;
- advancement and application of knowledge through teaching, scholarly research and collaboration with industry and public sector; and
- the development of appropriate human capital for the sustainable advancement of the national economy.
The Commission shall perform the following functions:
- and any other function necessary for the attainment of the objects of Commission.
The Commission shall, in the performance for the general functions, ensure that tertiary education institutions
- apply the highest quality standards and relevance of teaching, learning and research programmes and outcomes;
- promote equitable and inclusive access to all tertiary education programmes and service;
- promote transparent governance and best practices, including reporting and checks and balances to ensure full accountability;
- promote a culture of independent, life-long learning and of scientific and technological inquiry among staff, students and wider society.
What We Actually Do
Details about Institutional Accreditation